Sometimes the information an embassy requests can be confusing especially for a first-time traveler applying for a visa. One document that is often requested is an invitation letter. An invitation letter is a formal letter written by your host who is a citizen of the country you are going to visit. If you are staying with family or friends, an invitation letter serves as proof of accommodation while you are visiting.
There are some requirements that must be met while writing an invitation letter. The information listed below refers to you as the guest and the host as the person you are staying with who will be writing the letter.
For the host, they must:
- They have to be a lawful permanent resident or a citizen of the country which the applicant is trying to visit
- They must have a registered living space (a house or a flat)
- They must be a friend, girlfriend/boyfriend, or relative/member of the family of the person applying for a visa
- They must have enough room in their home for the person opting for the visa
For the guest/person applying for the visa, the letter must include this information about the guest:
- Full name as shown on their International Passport
- Date of birth
- The person’s address and telephone number
- Relationship between the host and the guest
- The purpose of the trip (friendly visit, holiday, wedding, birthday party.)
- Exact entry date and exit date
Often, the country would like additional supporting documentation along with the invitation letter. We list this for you in case it is requested. That documentation could be any of the following:
- A scanned copy of the host’s ID/passport
- Evidence of means of subsistence (if the host will financially support the guest)
- Proof of home / flat ownership or rental contract
- An Itinerary of the places planned to visit together
- A document proving the host has taken days off from work to be with you during your period of stay in their country if they are actually taking time off work
Here is an example of an invitation letter from your host addressed to the consular officer:
[Insert country] Immigration Department
[Address of the Immigration Department]
Re: Invitation Letter for [Applicant’s name] – Passport Number: [Insert number]
To Whom It May Concern,
I, [Inviting person’s name], am writing this letter to support the Visa application of
[Applicant’s name]. I am a permanent resident/citizen of [Country’s name] with
Residence ID [insert number].
The reason for travel is [insert reason for travel]. During the visit, [Applicant’s name] will
stay at [Inviting person’s address] from [Date of entry] to [Date of exit]. During these
dates, [Applicant’s name] will [provide a summarized description of the activities the
applicants will do during the visit].
We appreciate your assistance in granting the requested Visa. Should you need further
information, please feel free to contact me.
[Host’s] Phone number:
Once you have your invitation letter, you will then need to upload it to your account so it can be submitted with your application.
If you have any questions on how to take a photograph of your invitation letter and upload it, we have a great article here on how to take a photo of your document and another article helping you upload your document to your account.